Monday, April 26, 2010

Of Rain Boots and Waffle Irons...

I am sad to report that I still do not have my rain boots. This, being my own fault, had greatly annoyed me. I was so very close, then lost all control of my self and gained back nearly 7 pounds! WTF??!! It’s ok though, I’m almost back there and those boots WILL be mine by Saturday!

I wanted to tell you about my little waffle adventure yesterday. I am one of those people that get bored eating the same meals day after day. I need variety, and sometimes I’m just too freaking lazy to “cook”. Yesterday, I should have cooked.

I decided that breakfast for dinner would be a nice change of pace, and since we had the Slimgenics pancake mix on hand I thought it would be simple to make some scrambled eggs and waffles for dinner. Having already tried, and failed, to make pancakes with the mix I decided to try waffles instead. Supposedly the waffles work better with the Slimgenics mix.

I grabbed my Slimgenics cookbook and mixed up the recipe for Strawberry Sauce (very tasty if a bit tart), scrambled up some eggs and set them in the oven to keep warm, then got started on waffles. While the iron was preheating, I added the water to the mix and gave it a good stir - so far, so good! I think poured the mix onto the iron, closed it up, and went about setting the table for dinner. When the light went off on the waffle iron, I stopped what I was doing and went to remove the waffles. That is where it all went wrong.

Armed with my trusty hot pad, I start to lift up the lid on the waffle iron but it won’t open. “Odd”, I say to myself and try again to no avail.

“What the?” I mutter as I grab a towel and hold onto the handle as I pull up on the lid…still nothing. I check for a latch or clasp of some kind and can’t find one. By now the waffle is starting to burn and it dawns on me that my waffle iron is glued shut.

“Help!” I call out, but mom has “Bye Bye Birdie up so loud that the neighbors are probably humming along to “One Last Kiss”, and Rick is tucked away in his man cave so neither of them can hear me. “Help!” I try again a little louder. No one comes.

At this point I pull the plug on the iron and go out into the hall, “I need help” I scream at the top of my lungs. This gets a response. Mom comes running to my rescue and between the two of us and I knife I use as a crow bar, we finally pry the dang thing open. By now Rick has come up to see what all the commotion is and I’m starting to wonder if maybe I should have just baked a chicken.

Once we have the plates cleaned back up and replaced in the waffle iron, I decide to start again. (Un)Fortunately, we are out of Slimgenics mix and I have to rely on good old Krustez mix.

I stir it up, pour it on and wait…and wait…and wait. Rick gets impatient and starts to lift up the lid before the light goes off. The waffles are not done so the lid goes back down. Eventually the light goes dark and we lift the lid. The waffles pull apart horizontally across the middle. “Crap!” I’m fixing to give up but Rick wants to try once more. We clean up the iron and pour in more mix and voila, five minutes later…perfect waffles.

The moral of this story? Make your husband cook the waffles.

Seriously though, I don’t recommend the Slimgenics Pancake mix. If you do use it, use lots of spray on the iron; otherwise get out your chisel.

3 comments:

  1. I make pancakes with the mix all the time...haven't had a problem yet....hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. was it a brand new waffle maker? perhaps it just needed to get "seasoned" before you could get good waffles? oh well...i was never a fan of em anyways :) sorry about the dinner nightmare :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure it was all me...it just made me feel better to blame the mix and the iron. At least I got a good story out of it right?

    ReplyDelete